What is the Institute?
The Kansas City Summer Transportation Institute (KCSTI) provides an exciting opportunity for high school students in the Greater Kansas City area to learn about careers in transportation in an intense, all expenses paid, four-week summer program. The KCSTI opens teens eyes to the wealth of career opportunities that exist in the transportation industry. It also includes self-discovery activities designed to enhance teamwork, leadership, and provide students with an introduction to college life. KCSTI is funded through the Federal Highway Administration in partnership with numerous other federal, state, and local partners.
Who is Eligible?
The Institute is open to incoming 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students with and without disabilities. Students must have a 2.0 grade point average or above and have an interest in transportation as a career path, such as engineering, business, design, or communications. To apply, complete the KCSTI website registration form.
Transportation Career Exploration:
Professionals facilitate skill-building workshops, bridge building and lead tours in various transportation sites and businesses such as airports, construction sites, training programs, navigation systems, railroads, highways, aviation, mechanical, waterways and more.
Leadership and Personal Development:
Students will learn about themselves including their learning styles, interests, and what they need to know about college life and services as they consider higher education and careers.
What’s in it for Me?
If you are selected, you will:
- Have access to all facilities, supplies, equipment, field trip travel, meals, activity fees, accommodations, and more at no cost.
- Explore exciting career opportunities that match your interests and abilities.
- Get to know transportation professionals who want to help you move forward in your career discovery journey.
- Develop new leadership skills.
- Expand your circle of friends. Meet people from around the Kansas City Metro area.
- Conquer new heights in the high ropes challenge course and other recreational activities.
- Have fun competing in science and engineering challenges by working as a team.